A) JOB SUMMARY
Reporting to the Dean, the Associate Dean will take on project leadership to develop the reputation and reach of the School of Business and Centre for Sport and Exercise Education (the portfolio) and the college within the communities we serve and the broader global community. With a strong commitment to socially responsible leadership, the Associate Dean will foster relationships with key partners, local industry, professional bodies, indigenous organizations, and domestic and international post-secondary partners.
The Associate Dean will collaborate with other academic colleagues to establish and implement portfolio and program goals and objectives to enable an institutional culture of life-long learning and academic excellence. The Associate Dean will promote teaching excellence within a learner-centered environment. The Associate Dean holds shared responsibility for the development and/or re-development, delivery and assessment of programs and curriculum to ensure an exceptional standard of excellence.
The Associate Dean will assist the Dean in the formulation, interpretation and implementation of financial policy and strategic student enrollment and retention plans. In addition to Academic leadership, another key element to the role is leading the effective recruitment and retention of faculty and staff. This responsibility will include mentoring faculty and staff, and actively working with them in their professional development and scholarly activity to ensure a consistently high-quality learning experience for our students.
B) REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean. Reporting to the Associate Dean are the faculty (excluding the School leadership team).
C) ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Planning, Development and External Relations:
- Monitors and assesses emerging developments in sectors appropriate to the portfolio, identifying implications for faculty, programs and resources.
- Liaises with community stakeholders including educational partners, professional organizations, and indigenous communities.
- In collaboration with Professional Studies and Industry Training, department Chairs and Program Leaders evaluates, develops, and implements new education initiatives, projects and programs.
- Working with Camosun International, evaluates, develops, and implements international educational opportunities for students, staff and faculty.
- Investigates and develops revenue-generating opportunities in the portfolio as applicable.
- Attends designated internal and external committees and provides information to portfolio members to ensure currency and effective development of programs.
- Represents the portfolio in cross-college strategic, operational and program development working groups, projects and other related activities.
- Provides direction on promotional and marketing opportunities in the portfolio and reviews and approves external and internal communications such as websites and advertising.
Operations and Management.
- Works in concert with Dean and the School leadership team in the implementation of their responsibilities in achieving effective department and portfolio operations.
- Ensures accuracy and quality of program related materials, including calendar, external communication materials, marketing and promotion of the designated department on the web and elsewhere.
- Develops and maintains operating structures, policies, procedures and communication for the Departments, consulting and collaborating with faculty as needed.
- Addresses student and faculty concerns in accordance with relevant policy.
- Maintains a shared responsibility with the Dean to interact effectively with other units of the college to meet portfolio’s operational needs.
Management of Human Resources:
- With support from the college’s Human Resources Department and Dean, participates in recruitment, and leads orientation, coaching and supervision of faculty.
- Ensures effective faculty selection processes are undertaken and participates in processes to meet operational objectives.
- Works with the Dean and department Chairs to develop and implement faculty staffing plans, including allocation of faculty work assignments, in accordance with relevant collective agreements.
- Reviews and approves faculty leave and contracts.
- Collaborates with the Dean and department Chairs to encourage professional development opportunities. Promotes professional/scheduled development opportunities for faculty, provides feedback and approves scheduled development (SD) and professional development (PD) plans and reports.
- Manages faculty evaluation process. Identifies faculty-requiring evaluation and undertakes evaluations under the Collective Agreement.
- Maintains knowledge of, interprets and ensures compliance with appropriate collective agreements. Addresses complaints and investigates as required. Works with the Dean and Human Resources Department on the resolution of faculty grievances.
Fiscal Resource Management:
- Participates in budget development and monitoring with the Administrative Coordinator, department Chairs, Dean, and Finance Department.
- Oversees and coordinates overall space management.
- Oversees and coordinates appropriate technological support for teaching and learning in the portfolio.
D) OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Dean.
- May include teaching and/or educational research to maintain currency and relevance, subject to collective agreement language.
- Actively participates in college-wide strategic initiatives with opportunities to assume lead roles in projects.
- May act for the Dean as required.
• A minimum five years of facilitating or instructing experience in a post-secondary environment.
• A minimum of three years of experience in progressively responsible academic leadership roles, including direct supervision of staff and faculty.
• A minimum of a relevant master’s degree from a recognized institution is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Focus on students and their success.
• Ability to align with the Camosun community culture.
• Ability to foster and nurture relationships.
• Able to recognize and address needs.
• Is able to create a context to enable others to act.
• Creates the time and space for individuals to achieve their respective best.
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
• The ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others within the organization and external stakeholders to implement changes and to address problems and concerns.
• The ability to create and maintain a healthy workplace and where necessary deal proactively with conflict in the working environment.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated budgeting and fiscal management experience.
• Demonstrated skills in building and maintaining relationships with community stakeholders.
• Proven success in the development, implementation and assessment of curriculum and programs.
• Proven effectiveness in leadership and the management of change initiatives and a proven ability to work collaboratively across all organizational lines and divisions in furthering organizational goals.
This is an extension of posting ES1038P. Applications submitted to posting ES1038P will be included in this posting.