We’re looking for an enthusiastic team member who values relationship-building and demonstrates a broad knowledge of communication practices. You’re as adept and motivated to write a press release as you are a communications plan, project brief, social media strategy or website copy. Navigating WordPress and modifying pages is just another day at the office, and leading a communications audit is right up your alley.
The Communications Specialist supports the Manager, Communications & Engagement, with safeguarding and advancing Greater Victoria Harbour Authority’s (GVHA) reputation in the media, on GVHA digital channels and branded collateral, with member agencies, commercial vendors and communities within Greater Victoria. You will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, from community groups to commercial vendors to C-suite personnel.
A degree in communications, journalism, or a degree/diploma in public relations is preferred. Demonstrated work experience in communications will be considered.
- Manager, Communications & Engagement
- Events Specialist
- Other GVHA Corporate, Operations, and Maintenance staff
- Business Associations (e.g., Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Victoria Business Association)
- City of Victoria, local governments
- Contractors, consultants, commercial customers, float home and liveaboard customers
- Destination marketing organizations (e.g., Cruise BC, Destination Greater Victoria, Attractions Victoria)
- Member Agencies
- Stakeholders – Industry partners, business community groups
- Western Stevedoring
- Monitors media and tracks media hits and assists the manager with identifying issues or areas of opportunity.
- Supports the Manager, Communications and Engagement in preparing and disseminating press releases, media pitches, op-eds, and other communications materials, including but not limited to brochures, briefs, presentations and others.
- Develops, maintains and implements a social media content calendar and produces bi-weekly analytics reports.
- Maintains social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and other digital activities.
- Monitors and responds to [email protected] emails.
- Monitors, tracks and reports on weekly media coverage and email engagement statistics.
- Plans and produces internal communications updates, including an internal newsletter.
- Maintains web properties, updates and implements approved changes on GVHA’s website (WordPress).
- Assists departments with vendor messaging via Mail Chimp.
- Provides assistance to internal departments in the development and execution of marketing and communications materials and strategies.
- Assists with planning and writing a monthly e-newsletter, Harbour Currents.
Marketing & Branding
- Implements all marketing/branding/advertising strategies and activities for all lines of business and facilities (i.e., facility promotion marketing).
- Creates artwork in Adobe Illustrator or with the assistance of a graphic designer.
- Coordinates marketing aspects for all tradeshows GVHA participates in including Sea Trade in collaboration with the Director, Cruise Development.
- Assists with the implementation of GVHA’s signage and wayfinding program.
- Participates in the development and implementation of business development marketing.
- Assists with developing and executing marketing programs/budgets to support the commercial performance of GVHA’s facilities across all business lines.
- Ensures consistent application of GVHA’s brand guidelines across the organization.
- Coordinates with external marketing consultants, graphic designers and web developers/designers as required.
- Develops and maintains facility maps for public and stakeholder use.
- Participates and supports all marketing elements related to GVHA’s public relations campaigns.
- Provides assistance to internal departments in the development and execution of marketing materials.
- Organizes the planning and logistics for media events.
- Develop media event briefs and assist with event execution as required.
- Supports the Events Specialist with promoting events and activation on GVHA properties.
- Contributes to the development and execution of event engagement and site activation strategies.
- Operates standard office equipment, video conferencing, and audio-visual equipment.
- Operates a personal computer for word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, calendar, internet, etc.
- Computer software includes Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and other software.
- Data management systems (i.e., SharePoint site).
- Familiar with using a digital camera.
- Office environment.
- Regular, full-time position, Monday to Friday.
- Occasional evenings and/or weekends due to operational requirements and/or to participate in corporate and GVHA sponsored/supported events (more frequent in summer months).
- Occasional travel to attend conferences, meetings or special events.
Experience and Education
- A degree in communications, journalism or a degree/diploma in public relations is preferred. Demonstrated work experience in communications will be considered.
- Minimum 3 years related experience in communications.
- Familiar with The Canadian Press Stylebook and writing guidelines.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in event planning.
- Experience in developing strategic marketing plans.
- Experience with photography and videography an asset.
- Experience with WordPress and MailChimp, or other marketing email platforms.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop) software is an asset.
- Proficient with all types of media platforms.
- Proficient with all MS Office applications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Sound knowledge of various media, including print, web, social media and multimedia.
- Thorough knowledge of and proficiency with social media applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and editing communication skills, including spelling, grammar, context and structure.
- Excellent stakeholder and client relation skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to develop marketing materials for multiple mediums, including print, digital and broadcast.
- Ability to develop creative social media marketing campaign strategies.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with various groups or individuals to meet GVHA objectives.
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgement, discretion, and flexibility in providing service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to be client-oriented, exchange information and deliver innovative solutions promptly and professionally to customers.
- Ability to manage and organize concurrent projects while considering changing priorities and deadlines, emerging issues, the impact of decisions, and competing and conflicting demands.
- Ability to adapt to work environment changes, assignments and/or organizational priorities.